Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Marvin Hamlisch

Composer, conductor, and performer -- via mercurynews.com. A child prodigy, he went to Juliard and worked as a rehearsal pianist for Broadway shows, his work in "Funny Girl" leading to a long collaboration with Barbra Streisand. He won a Tony Award and a Pulitzer Prize for "A Chorus Line"; four Emmys, two Golden Globes, three Oscars (for "The Way We Were" and "The Sting"), and four Grammys. Additionally, his focus on ragtime music for the score of "The Sting" led to a revival of interest in the genre, and a resurrection of high regard for composer Scott Joplin.







And he wrote "Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows."



On a personal note, I could swear I saw him conduct a schoolchildren's concert as an assistant at the Denver Symphony Orchestra, long long ago. I could be wrong. Also, I saw the original Broadway production of "They're Playing Our Song" . . . but that was more due to me idolizing Robert Klein.

No comments:

Post a Comment