Thursday, November 4, 2010

George Lee "Sparky" Anderson

Hall of Fame baseball manager -- via the Associated Press. What can I say? I cried a little when I heard this. He was a genius:
Here's his bio from the Baseball Hall of Fame website: "Known for his jovial disposition, George 'Sparky' Anderson was the first manager in history to win World Series championships in both the American and National Leagues. His career totals include 2,194 victories, the third most in Major League history, two Manager of the Year Awards, five league pennants and three World Series crowns. His heavy use of the bullpen staff earned him the nickname 'Captain Hook,' but this practice has now become the standard for Major League Baseball."
He was not only a brilliant leader, he had a great attitude about people and life, and taught me much about the game I love and inspired me when things got me down. Here's a link to his Hall of Fame induction speech -- read it, it says it all. If you don't have time to read the whole thing, here's a very important quote from it for you:

" . . . what my father said, when I was 11 years old. My father never got past the third grade, but there ain’t a guy that ever went to Harvard smart as my Daddy. My Daddy said this. He said, 'I’m gonna give you a gift, it’s the greatest gift to take all the way through your life. And if you live with this gift, everything will work perfect,' and he said, 'Son, I’m gonna give you a gift that will never cost a dime, and that gift is this, if every day of your life, and every person you meet, you will just be nice to that person, and treat that person like they are someone.'”

God bless you, Sparky.

No comments:

Post a Comment